Applies to England, Scotland and Wales
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
Due to support for the recommendations we have decided to take implementation forward as soon as the legislative programme allows. Certain proposals will require further consultation before they can progress.
The consultation received 2,299 responses.
The outcome was published on 19 December 2017.
The proposed changes for riders are to:
- take away (revoke) compulsory basic training (CBT) certificates of riders who get 6 penalty points
- introduce a training course for riders to upgrade their motorcycle licence, instead of passing extra tests
- restrict riders to riding an automatic motorcycle if they take their CBT course on one
- consider introducing a theory test that has to be taken before (or as part of) the CBT course
- change the CBT course syllabus from 5 parts to 4
There are also proposed changes to:
- improve the motorcycle instructor qualification process
- improve the way training courses are quality assured
- introduce an ‘earned recognition’ scheme for motorcycle training schools
- move the recording of CBT courses from a paper-based system to a digital service