The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) was created by the 2004: Energy Act.
We report to the Department for Business, Energy and Industry Strategy (BEIS). UK Government Investments supports BEIS in its governance role.
We are responsible to Scottish ministers for some issues. We also work with the devolved administrations in developing our strategy and plans.
Our governance arrangements are outlined in the NDA Framework Document.
The activities on our sites are closely regulated by:
The NDA Board sets the strategic framework and direction for the NDA’s operations.
It is responsible for:
- ensuring high standards of corporate governance at all times
- agreeing the plans against which NDA performance is measured
- maintaining an appropriate control framework that provides assurances on risk assessment and the application of appropriate controls
The Board delegates the day-to-day management of the NDA to the executive team, comprising the chief executive and other directors.
The Chairman is appointed by The Secretary of State for the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in consultation with Scottish ministers.
The Board consists of 6 non-executive directors, including the chairman, and 3 executive directors including the Chief Executive.
Our members are:
Executive team members
The NDA’s Board delegate day-to-day management to the executive team, which includes the chief executive and other directors.
The executive team is accountable for implementing the strategy and plans approved by the Board. It articulates the NDA’s requirements to the Parent Body Organisations (PBOs) and Site Licence Companies (SLCs) that manage and run the 17 sites under contract to the NDA.
The executive team members also review performance against those requirements and lead on the 5 core processes essential to the NDA mission:
- strategy (long-term scenario planning, options development)
- planning (corporate planning, securing and allocating funds, operational planning)
- incentives (incentivisation principles and process)
- sanctioning (sanctioning of major programmes / projects / procurements, post-investment appraisal)
- performance (monitoring, assurance, reporting)
Members of the executive team include:
The NDA Board officially meets 4 times per year.
We publish Board meeting minutes after they have been approved by the Board. We provide access to minutes from the previous year.
Minutes from previous Board meetings are available on request: email@example.com
Where necessary, we edit (redact) minutes to withhold sensitive information in line with the exemptions allowed under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Environmental Information Regulations 2004. Where information is withheld, “minute redacted” appears in the text.