VAT: general enquiries


Make a VAT or FHDDS enquiry online

Replies can take up to 15 working days.


You’ll need to have your National Insurance number to use webchat.

Speak to an adviser online about:

  • VAT
  • Making Tax Digital for VAT
  • using VAT online services


Before you call

This helpline may ask you some security questions. Make sure your personal details and address are up to date in your personal tax account or you could fail telephone security. If you do not already have a personal tax account, you can set one up.

Only call HMRC if your VAT or FHDDS enquiry is urgent. Please have your postcode, FHDDS and VAT registration number if you need to call.

You cannot pay, or agree time to pay using this phone number.

Find out what to do if you cannot pay your tax bill on time.

When you call

This helpline uses speech recognition software, so you will be asked why you are calling HMRC. Try to answer with short phrases and words, for example:

  • ‘change my address’
  • ‘question about VAT rates’
  • ‘problem registering for VAT’

If you cannot use speech recognition software, find out how to get help from HMRC if you need extra support.

You can also use Relay UK if you cannot hear or speak on the phone: dial 18001 then 0300 200 3700.

0300 200 3700

Outside UK:
+44 2920 501 261

Opening times:

Our phone line opening hours are:

Monday to Thursday: 8am to 6pm

Closed on Fridays, weekends and bank holidays.

If your call is not urgent please use webchat to contact us.

You can also find out information in:

Best time to call:

Phone lines are less busy between 8.30am and 11am, Monday to Thursday.

Get help using VAT online services if you need help using or registering for VAT online services.

Find out about call charges


General VAT enquiries and letters with attachments

Please only write to HMRC about general VAT questions, if you are unable to contact us online. Replies may take longer than 15 working days.

HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

VAT insolvency enquiries

Read section 1.4 of VAT Notice 700 to find out which HMRC team to write to if you have a question about VAT insolvencies.