Capital Gains Tax

Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what this means


  • Telephone: 0300 200 3300
  • Textphone: 0300 200 3319
  • Outside UK: +44 135 535 9022

Phone HMRC for general enquiries about Capital Gains tax.

HMRC do not take payments on this line.

You will need your Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference when calling.

Find out about call charges

Opening times:

8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm Saturday

Closed Sundays and bank holidays


Write to HMRC for help with general Capital Gains Tax queries.

You don’t need to include a street name, city name or PO box when writing to this address.

Capital Gains Tax Queries
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom


Capital Gains Tax is paid through Self Assessment, if paying by cheque follow the instructions at pay your Self Assessment tax bill.

You don’t need to include a street name or PO box when writing to this address and should allow 3 working days for your payment to reach HMRC.

United Kingdom

Help us improve GOV.UK

Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.