DSA provides independent advice to the Secretary of State on Health, Safety and Environmental Protection (HS&EP) policy in defence and evidence based assurance that the policy is being promoted and implemented in the conduct of defence activities. It owns and directs the activities of defence’s independent accident investigation teams.
The DSA brings together the Defence Safety and Environment Authority (DSEA), the Military Aviation Authority (MAA) and the newly established Defence Fire Safety Regulator (DFSR) to form an independent authority that provides defence with a single, independent, focus for safety and environmental protection. The DSA regulates all areas of defence where we have exemptions from legislation. These exemptions exist because of the particular needs of defence and cover areas such as nuclear, aviation, maritime, explosives and ordnance, and fuels and gases.
The Secretary of State’s health, safety and environmental protection policy statement requires that MOD complies with the law where we are subject to it, and that where we have exemptions we should produce internal regulations that produce outcomes that are, so far as reasonably practical, at least as good as those required by legislation; in addition to regulation, the DSA is responsible for overarching safety and environmental protection policy and will carry out high level assurance to establish whether top level budget organisations and trading fund agencies are complying with the requirements of legislation, as well as internal regulation, in accordance with the Secretary of State’s policy statement.
Demonstrably safe, environmentally sound, effective and available defence capability.
To provide independent assurance to the Secretary of State that his policy on safety (including health and environmental protection) in defence is being promoted and implemented in the conduct of defence activities.
The 3 star Director General of the DSA is Air Marshal Dick Garwood CB CBE DFC MA RAF. His deputy (Director DSA) is Chris Baker.
- Defence Accident Investigation Branch (Defence AIB)
- Defence Fire Safety Regulator (DFSR)
- Defence Land Systems Safety Regulator (DLSR)
- Land Systems Safety Regulator (LSSR)
- Defence Movement and Transport Safety Regulator (MTSR)
- Defence Fuel and Gas Safety Regulator (FGSR)
- Defence Maritime Regulator (DMR)
- Defence Nuclear Safety Regulator (DNSR)
- Defence Ordnance, Munitions and Explosives Safety Regulator (DOSR)
- Military Aviation Authority (MAA)
- Corporate Policy and Assurance (CPA)
- JSP 309: Fuel and gas safety assurance
- JSP 375: Management of health and safety in defence
- JSP 390: Military laser safety
- JSP 392: Management of radiation protection in defence
- JSP 403: Handbook of defence land ranges safety
- JSP 418: Management of environmental protection in defence
- JSP 426: Fire safety manual
- JSP 430: Management of ship safety and environmental protection
- JSP 433: MOD diving safety policy
- JSP 454: Safety and environmental protection for defence
- JSP 482: MOD explosives regulations
- JSP 498: Major accident control regulations
- JSP 515: Hazardous stores information system
- JSP 518: Regulation of the naval nuclear propulsion programme
- JSP 520: Safety and environment management of OME over the equipment acquisition cycle
- JSP 538: Regulation of the nuclear weapon programme
- JSP 800: Defence movements and transportation safety regulations
- JSP 815: Defence health, safety and environmental protection
- JSP 862: MOD maritime explosives regulations part 1 surface ships
- JSP 862: MOD maritime explosives regulations part 2 submarines
- JSP 930: Generic maintenance inspection certification and testing (MICaT) for vehicles
- Defence health, safety and environmental protection assurance reports
- Secretary of State’s policy statement on health, safety and environmental protection
- Noise Amelioration Scheme (military)
- Noise Insulation Grant Scheme (NIGS) in the UK Government Web Archive
- Disposal of munitions at sea in the UK Government Web Archive
- Health and Safety Executive
- JSP 471: Defence nuclear accident response
Defence Safety Authority
1st Floor, Zone J