Funding education for 16 to 19 year olds
Information for schools, colleges, local authorities and independent learning providers about 16 to 19 funding arrangements
On this page you will find information about 16 to 19 funding.
Latest news and updates
You can read the latest actions and information about 16 to 19 funding in our weekly ESFA update. Remember we also update our timeline for the academic year.
How funding will work in 2023 to 2024
How funding will work in 2022 to 2023
This section focuses on all the changes for 16 to 19 funding for 2022 to 2023.
16 to 19 national funding formula
This section explains how elements of the 16 to 19 national funding formula are calculated.
- 16 to 19 funding: how it works
- 16 to 19 funding: high value courses premium
- 16 to 19 funding: programme cost weighting changes
- 16 to 19 funding: advanced maths premium
- 16 to 19 funding study programmes: work experience
- 16 to 19 funding: maths and English condition of funding
- 16 to 19 funding: Level 3 programme maths and English payment
Funding regulations and guidance
- Advice: funding regulations for post-16 provision
- 16 to 19 education: funding guidance
- ESFA list of qualifications approved for funding 14 to 19
- Qualifications attracting high value courses premium
- Full-time enrolment of 14 to 16 year olds in further education and sixth-form colleges
- Qualifications affected by programme cost weighting changes
Understand your funding allocation
High needs funding arrangements
Financial support for students
We fund a number of schemes that provide financial support for young people to help them participate in education and training. Financial student support schemes can help eligible young people with the costs of their education. More information about the schemes can be found in the guidance below.
T Levels and industry placements
T Levels are new courses that launched in September 2020, which follow GCSEs and are equivalent to 3 A Levels. Industry placements are a compulsory part of T Levels. ESFA has allocated capacity and delivery funding since academic year 2018 to 2019 to build the sectors ability in delivering industry placements ahead of the roll out of T Levels.
Applying for 16 to 19 funding
Audit and contract requirements
Last updated 9 January 2023 + show all updates
We've removed outdated links and added links for 2023 to 2024, including qualifications affected by programme cost weighting changes.
We have updated the page for information on funding for academic year 2022 to 2023.
We have added the high needs funding arrangements for 2021 to 2022.
We have added the 16 to 19 funding allocations supporting documents for the 2020 to 2021 academic year.
We have restructured this page to make it easier to find the information you need. We have also added information for 2020 to 2021 academic year.
We have added the high needs funding arrangements for 2020 to 2021
Latest news been added