Funding regulations for post-16 provision 2020 to 2021
This guidance document covers the period 1 August 2020 to 31 July 2021 and is our current advice for the funding year. We know that providers are working through exceptional circumstances due to coronavirus (COVID-19). We may publish further updates to this guidance document about the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) on our funding regulations as these become clear. We will tell you about any changes in our ESFA Update.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued hard work in these difficult times.
For further information, please read this guidance to help schools and other educational settings provide advice for staff, parents and carers, pupils and students about coronavirus (COVID-19).
We have made the following updates to the Funding regulations guide for 2020 to 2021
- updated student eligibility advice for EU and EEA students
- updated advice for T Levels including eligible provision, planned hours and recording planned hours
- updated advice on ineligible provision
- updated advice on using electronic recruitment systems
- updated advice where wider Government restrictions impact on student enrolment and attendance which require using electronic recruitment and delivery systems
Funding regulations for post-16 provision 2019 to 2020
Colleges, providers, schools and academies receive annual funding allocations from the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) for provision of 16 to 19 education.
These documents give advice about the use of funds for each funding year.
We have made the following updates to the Funding regulations guidance for 2019 to 2020 in May 2020
- issued additional evidential advice from May 2020
We have made the following updates to the Funding regulations guidance for 2019 to 2020 in January 2020
- confirmed there will be no change to student eligibility rules for this funding year from 1 February 2020 – see paragraph 31
- clarified advice in paragraphs 64 and 67
- clarified that paragraph 53 applies to school and academy sixth forms
- added additional question and answer scenario in Annex C (question 15)
We have made the following additions and updates to the Funding regulations guidance for 2019 to 2020
- updated student eligibility advice at paragraphs 28 to 31 for any Brexit date
- updated the under-16 student eligibility advice at paragraph 51 to provide clearer information on the funding and recruiting of under 16 year old students
- updated the definition of “exchange schemes” at paragraph 60
- updated advice on planned hours at paragraph 93 to clarify that students must not have planned hours that exceed 40 hours per week for their study programme
- updated advice concerning a change to the condition of funding for students with a grade 2 or below in maths or English. These students can study towards a pass in functional skills level 2 (legacy or reformed) or they can still study towards a GCSE grade 9 to 4. Once they have achieved this, there is no requirement to undertake further maths or English qualifications to meet the condition of funding – see Annex D
Please visit our main funding guidance page for all the latest funding guidance information.