We maintain and develop relations between the UK and Greece. The British Vice Consulate in Heraklion provides services to British nationals living in and visiting Crete.

You can access UK government services while in Crete.

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Crete and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +30 2810 224012. In an emergency outside working hours (9am to 3pm) call +30 210 7272600. If you’re in the UK and worried about a British national in country, call 020 7008 1500.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Vice Consulate Crete.

Other consular services

Notarial and documentary services

See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide in Greece.

Marriage and civil partnerships

For information on getting married in Greece, see getting married abroad.

Certificates of Non Impediment (CNIs) for British Nationals wishing to marry in Greece are only issued by the British Embassy in Athens. Please go to the getting married abroad page to establish if you need one.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Greece.

We also provide services in:

Contact us

British Vice Consulate Crete

Candia Tower, 17 Thalita Street, Ag. Dimitrios Square

71 202 Crete

Access and opening times

Corporate information