The British High Commission in Port of Spain responsible for developing and maintaining relations between the United Kingdom and Trinidad and Tobago.

We work on a wide range of issues including economic, energy and climate change policy, human rights (including abolition of the death penalty), international security, and providing support to British nationals.

We have a network of offices throughout the region. Find out what services are available in Barbados, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, and St Lucia.

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Trinidad and Tobago and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call + 1 868 350 0444. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Trinidad and Tobago, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British High Commission can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to book an appointment for an emergency travel document at British High Commission Port of Spain

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Port of Spain, see travel advice for Trinidad and Tobago.

Get a visa

The British High Commission can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We don’t issue certificates of no impediment, affirmations or affidavits of marital status. We also don’t perform marriages or civil partnerships for British nationals. For further information on getting married in Trinidad and Tobago, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death in Trinidad and Tobago. You can’t register a birth or death at the high commission or our consulates-general.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Trinidad and Tobago and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Trinidad and Tobago. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

The British High Commission in Trinidad and Tobago does not provide legalisation services. Read our notarial and documentary services page for more information on legalisation.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service provider lists

Use our list of local supplier and services if you need help in Trinidad and Tobago. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British high commission or the UK government

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Trinidad and Tobago.

What the high commission cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Trinidad and Tobago

Our people

Tim Stew MBE

Tim Stew MBE

British High Commissioner to Trinidad and Tobago

Contact us

British High Commission Port of Spain

19 St Clair Avenue
St Clair,
Port of Spain

Trinidad and Tobago

Access and opening times

UK Trade and Investment

British High Commission
19 St Clair Avenue; St Clair

Port of Spain
Trinidad and Tobago

British Council

British High Commission
19 St Clair Avenue; St Clair

Port of Spain
Trinidad and Tobago

Access and opening times

Press enquiries

Press Office
British High Commission
19 St Clair Avenue,
Port of Spain,

Trinidad and Tobago

Our press team answers media enquiries about the work of the UK government and the British High Commission in Port of Spain.

Access and opening times