Check your tax code

If you’re employed or get a pension, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) may send you a PAYE coding notice (sometimes known as a ‘P2’). You’ll usually get this before 6 April - the start of the new tax year.

The notice explains how HMRC worked out your tax code (or codes) and how your Personal Allowance has been used.

You can view your tax code for April 2016 to April 2017 in your personal tax account. Watch the YouTube video about the personal tax account.

What to do when you get your PAYE coding notice

Check the details. These include your:

You don’t need to do anything if they look correct.

If you think your PAYE coding notice is wrong, you can update your details using the PAYE coding notice form.

Find out more

Read more about what your PAYE coding notice means.

Watch the YouTube video about the changes to the PAYE coding notice.