Tax relief for employees

1. Overview

You may be able to claim tax relief if you have to use your own money for travel or things that you must buy for your job.

You must have paid tax in the year you spent the money. How much you can claim depends on the rate you pay tax.

Example If you spent £60 and pay tax at a rate of 20%, the tax relief you can claim is £12.

You can only claim relief on things that are used just for your work, and which you don’t use in your private life.

You can’t claim relief on things you’ve spent money on if your employer has already provided you with an alternative.

You must keep records of what you’ve spent, and claim within 4 years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money.

If your employer has paid back your expenses, you can’t claim tax relief.