Travel and overnight expenses

If you have to travel for your work you may be able to claim tax relief on the cost or money you’ve spent on food or overnight expenses.

You cannot claim for travelling to and from work, unless you’re travelling to a temporary place of work.

You can claim tax relief for money you’ve spent on things like:

  • public transport costs
  • hotel accommodation if you have to stay overnight
  • food and drink
  • congestion charges and tolls
  • parking fees
  • business phone calls and printing costs

For hotel and meal expenses, you’ll need to send receipts that include the date of your stay or of the meal and the name of the hotel or restaurant.

You may also be able to claim tax relief on business mileage.

You can claim for this tax year and the 4 previous tax years.

How to claim

Use this service to:

  • check if you can claim
  • make a claim if you’re eligible

If you complete a Self Assessment tax return, you must claim through your tax return instead.

Start now