Uniforms, work clothing and tools

You may be able to claim tax relief on the cost of:

  • repairing or replacing small tools you need to do your job (for example, scissors or an electric drill)
  • cleaning, repairing or replacing a uniform or specialist clothing (for example, overalls or safety boots)

Claim relief for a uniform or specialist clothing

You can claim tax relief for a uniform. A uniform is a set of clothing that identifies you as having a certain occupation, for example nurse, or police officer.

You may also be able to claim for specialist clothing you need for work, even if it does not identify you as having a certain occupation, for example overalls or safety boots.

You cannot claim tax relief for:

  • the initial cost of buying clothing for work
  • cleaning, repairing or replacing everyday clothing you wear for work (even if you must wear a certain design or colour)
  • the cost of laundering your own uniform or specialist clothing if your employer provides a free laundering service, and you choose not to use it

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

You cannot claim tax relief for PPE. If your job requires you to use PPE your employer should either:

  • give you PPE free of charge
  • ask you to buy it and reimburse you the costs

How much you can claim

You can either claim:

  • the actual amount you’ve spent - you’ll need to keep receipts
  • an agreed fixed amount (a ‘flat rate expense’ or ‘flat rate deduction’)

Check if your job has an agreed flat rate expense.

You can claim for this tax year and the 4 previous tax years.

How to claim

How you make a claim depends on whether you’re claiming:

  • the actual amount you’ve spent
  • an agreed fixed amount

To claim the actual amount

You’ll need to make a claim by post using a P87 form and submit your receipts with the form.

To claim an agreed fixed amount

Use this service to:

  • check if you can claim
  • make a claim if you’re eligible

If you complete a Self Assessment tax return, you must claim through your tax return instead.

Start now