You may think your tax code is wrong if, for example:
- the numbers and letters don’t match your situation
- your payslip shows that the wrong amount of Income Tax is being taken off
- the check your Income Tax service is showing the wrong information
Emergency tax codes are usually updated automatically after you’ve given your new employer your P45.
To report a mistake you can:
If someone is doing this on your behalf (such as an accountant) they can fill in a PAYE Coding Notice query form.
If HMRC agrees your tax code is wrong, they’ll adjust it so that you:
- pay the right amount of tax for all of your income, spread over a year
- get the Personal Allowance you’re entitled to
At the end of the tax year
You can check you paid the right amount of tax after the end of the tax year (5 April).
You can claim a refund if you think you’ve paid too much.