You may think your tax code is wrong if, for example:
- the numbers and letters don’t match your situation
- your payslip shows that the wrong amount of Income Tax is being taken off
- the check your Income Tax service is showing the wrong information
Emergency tax codes are usually updated automatically after you’ve given your new employer your P45.
To report a mistake you can:
- use the ‘Tell us about a change’ section of the check your Income Tax service
- fill in a PAYE Coding Notice query form
- call HMRC
If HMRC agrees your tax code is wrong, they’ll adjust it so that you:
- pay the right amount of tax for all of your income, spread over a year
- get the Personal Allowance you’re entitled to
At the end of the tax year
You can check you paid the right amount of tax after the end of the tax year (5 April).
You can claim a refund if you think you’ve paid too much.