1. Overview

The driving licence rules, vehicle categories and age limits for learning to ride a motorbike or moped changed on 19 January 2013.

Once you get your provisional licence, must get a compulsory basic training (CBT) certificate to ride on public roads. You must take and pass the theory and practical tests in 2 years. If you don’t pass both parts of your practical test within 2 years of taking theory test, then you’ll have to start the process again.

Check what vehicles you can drive and the training you’ll need.


If you want to ride a motorbike you first need to get a provisional driving licence and complete CBT.

There are different categories of motorbike - you’ll need to get the right entitlement on your licence and be old enough to do so.


The way moped entitlements are shown on your licence have changed, but you still need to be 16 to ride one.

The rules are different if you already have a car driving licence.

Motor tricycles

Provisional category B car licences and provisional category A licences now only cover you to ride motor tricycles if you have a physical disability. Driving tests for 3-wheeled vehicles are only available for physically disabled drivers.

If you’re not physically disabled and want to ride a motor tricycle you’ll now need to get the right provisional entitlement and complete CBT.

You’ll need a full category A1 motorbike licence to ride motor tricycles up to power output 15kW, and a full category A motorbike licence to ride trikes with a power output more than 15kW.

Once you’ve completed CBT you have 2 years to pass your full motorbike theory and practical tests or you’ll have to complete CBT again.

Learning to ride

When you’re learning you need to have the right provisional driving licence.

If you’re using your own vehicle you’ll need to make sure it:

  • has a valid V5C registration certificate (log book)
  • is taxed
  • has an MOT (if needed)

You’ll also need adequate motor insurance.

Official Driving Standards Agency (DSA) guides

You can buy the official DSA guide to learning to ride and the DSA guide to riding - the essential skills.

Taking the full motorbike tests

All riders have to pass the theory test before taking the motorcycle practical test.

Enhanced rider scheme

Once you’ve passed your motorbike test you can take the enhanced rider scheme. It checks your riding skills and provides training to help you improve. You can get discounts on motorbike insurance if you successfully complete the scheme.

More information

For step-by-step instructions on how to get a moped or motorbike licence, see DVLA’s Routes to your motorcycle licence flowchart.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.