1. Overview

Most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take compulsory basic training (CBT). You then have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take CBT again.

After you’ve completed your CBT, you can ride a moped or a motorbike up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW on the road. You must use L plates (L or D plates in Wales) until you pass your full motorcycle test.

You need to book CBT through an approved training body (ATB) - each ATB sets its own fees.

When you don’t need to take CBT

You don’t need to take CBT to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001.

You also don’t have to take CBT if you:

  • have a full moped licence from passing a full moped test after 1 December 1990
  • have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another
  • live and ride on some offshore islands