You must wear a safety helmet that meets British safety standards when riding a motorcycle or moped on the road.
Safety helmet standards
All helmets worn on UK roads must either:
- meet British Standard BS 6658:1985 and carry the BSI Kitemark
- meet UNECE Regulation 22.05
- meet a European Economic Area member standard offering at least the same safety and protection as BS 6658:1985, and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark
SHARP - the helmet safety scheme
The Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme (SHARP) shows you approved helmets and how much protection they offer.
Visors and goggles
If you ride with a visor or goggles they must either:
- meet a British Standard and display a BSI Kitemark
- meet a European standard offering at least the same safety and protection as the British Standard and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark (UNECE Regulation 22.05)
Protective motorcycle clothing
There’s no law about wearing other protective clothing, but specialised motorcycle gear is highly recommended - it could save your life.