5. CBT if you have a car driving licence

You can ride a moped without L plates and without taking the full motorcycle test if either:

  • you have a car driving licence and a compulsory basic training (CBT) certificate
  • you passed your driving test before 1 February 2001

You must complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped licence if you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001.

Your CBT certificate for riding mopeds is then valid for as long as your car driving licence.