1. Overview

You need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you want to stay (‘remain’) with a family member or partner who’s living in the UK permanently and you’re:

You can apply if you’re eligible and you need to:

Your family member or partner can:

  • be a British citizen
  • have settled in the UK
  • be your partner who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

You may also be able to apply to remain with your child if they have lived in the UK for at least 7 years.


You may need to apply in a different way if:

  • you’re outside the UK
  • your partner’s from the EEA or Switzerland
  • your partner originally had a temporary visa as a worker
  • you’re the victim of domestic violence or your partner has died
  • you applied for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa before 9 July 2012
  • you want to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

How long it will take

A decision will be made on your application within 8 weeks.

You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, eg:

  • if your supporting documents need to be verified
  • if you need to attend an interview
  • because of your personal circumstances (eg if you have a criminal conviction)


Who you’re applying for By post In person
You £601 £1,001
Dependants £601 per person £1,001 per person

How long you can stay

You can stay for 2 and a half years. You’ll be able to apply to extend again towards the end of that.

You can also apply to settle permanently in the UK once you’re eligible.

What you can and can’t do

You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to:

You can’t usually get benefits or other public funds.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.