Family visas: extend your stay in the UK
You need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you want to stay (‘remain’) with a family member or partner (for example, spouse) who’s living in the UK permanently and you’re:
- already in the UK
- from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
You can apply if you’re eligible and you need to:
- extend your existing ‘family of a settled person’ visa
- switch to a ‘family of a settled person’ visa
Your family member or partner can:
- be a British citizen
- have settled in the UK
- be your partner who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK
You may also be able to apply to remain with your child if they’ve lived in the UK for at least 7 years.
You may need to apply in a different way if:
- you’re outside the UK
- your partner’s from the EEA or Switzerland
- your partner originally had a temporary visa as a worker
- you’re the victim of domestic violence or your partner has died
- you applied for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa before 9 July 2012
- you want to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK
How long it will take
A decision will be made:
- within 8 weeks if you apply online or by post
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:
- if your supporting documents need to be verified
- if you need to attend an interview
- because of your personal circumstances, for example, if you have a criminal conviction
How much it costs will depend on how you apply.
|Who you’re applying for||Online or by post||In person (premium service)|
|Family members||£993 each||£1,583 each|
You might not have to pay any fees if you’re destitute and applying on the basis of your human rights. If you’re eligible, you must apply by post.
How long you can stay
You can stay for 2 years and 6 months. You’ll be able to apply to extend again towards the end of that.
You can also apply to settle permanently in the UK once you’re eligible.
What you can and can’t do
You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to:
- work (you can’t work if you’re extending a visa to get married or to become civil partners)
- bring some family members
You can’t usually get benefits or other public funds.