6. Enforce a judgment

You may have to ask the court to take steps to collect the payment if you win your case.

You will have to pay extra court fees - ordering someone to attend court costs £50, and the other steps cost £100 each.

Find out what the person or business can afford to pay

It’s worth working out what the person or business can afford to pay.

You can ask the court to order a debtor to attend court to provide evidence of their income or spending, like bills and statements.

If the money is owed by a business, you can ask for an officer from the company to attend court, to give details of its accounts.

You can then decide on what you need to do to get your money.

Send bailiffs to collect payment

You can ask the court to use bailiffs to collect the money.

To do this you can either:

The bailiff will ask for payment within 7 days.

If the debt isn’t paid, the bailiff will visit the person’s home or business, to see if anything could be sold to pay the debt.

Get money deducted from wages

You can ask the court to send an order to the person’s employer, to take money from wages to pay the debt.

Fill in an attachment of earnings order to do this.

Freeze assets or money in an account

The court can freeze money in the person’s bank or building society account (or in a business account).

Fill in a third party debt order to do this.

The court will decide if money from the account can be used to pay the debt.

Charge the person’s land or property

You can ask the court to charge the person’s or company’s land or property.

Fill in a charging order to do this.

If the land or property is sold, they must pay this charge before they get their money.