Make a court claim for money

After you make your claim

The person or business who owes you money (the ‘defendant’) must respond to your claim. You’ll be sent a letter or email telling you the date they need to respond by.

What to do if you get paid

Tell the defendant when you’ve received their payment.

How you do this depends on how you made the claim.

You claimed online

If your reference number includes ‘MC’, email Money Claims with the date you were paid and your reference number.

Money Claims service

Otherwise, update your claim in the Money Claim Online service.

You used a paper claim form

Contact the court where you sent your claim.

If you do not get a response

You can ask the court to order the defendant to pay if they do not respond to your claim.

You need to:

If you disagree with the response

You might have to go to a court hearing if:

  • the defendant says they do not owe you any money
  • they disagree with the amount you’ve claimed
  • you do not agree with how they’ve offered to repay you

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), your hearing may take place by phone or video. If you already have a hearing date, the court will contact you and tell you how the hearing will take place. Do not attend your hearing in person unless the court has contacted you to confirm it’s going ahead. Read more guidance about how coronavirus might affect your court hearing.

The court may send you a questionnaire asking for more information on the case.

If your claim is under £10,000, you’ll be asked if you’d like to use the court’s small claims mediation service to reach an agreement with the defendant.

Fill in the questionnaire and return it to the court. You’ll have to pay an extra court fee.

The judge might not award you costs if they think you’ve made no effort to agree out of court.