What to do before or during a flood

You can check for flooding in your area and sign up for flood warnings.

If you’re about to be flooded

If your area has a flood warning (when flooding is expected) or severe flood warning (when there’s a danger to life):

  • turn off your gas, electricity and water supplies, if it’s safe to do so - do not touch an electrical switch if you’re standing in water
  • move your family, vehicles, pets and important items to safety, for example upstairs or to higher ground
  • if you have them, use flood protection products, for example flood barriers or air brick covers
  • follow advice from your local council or the emergency services - you may be asked to evacuate

If you have one, use your:

Find out more about flood alerts and warnings.

Get advice

You can get further advice on what to do and how to stay safe during a flood from the National Flood Forum or the British Red Cross.

You can also speak to a Floodline adviser.

Telephone: 0345 988 1188
Textphone: 0345 602 6340
24-hour service
Find out about call charges

Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger.

Get temporary accommodation

If your home is flood damaged and you’re not able to live there, contact your local council for help getting temporary accommodation.

If you need to travel

Check for flooding and get road traffic information.

Do not walk or drive through flood water. Flood water may contain sewage and hide rubbish, wreckage, uneven roads and pavements or broken drain and manhole covers.

Report a flood or an electrical, gas or sewage problem

To report:

You can also report a flood or possible cause of flooding.

Pumping out water

You may need a permit to pump water out of a property. If you want to pump the water into:

You can ask your local fire brigade for help pumping out water. They might charge a fee and can help you get a permit.

After a flood

Find out how to clean up after a flood.