What to do after a flood

Read about how to clear up safely after a flood.

Throw things away

Dispose of used sandbags at your local tip.

You can put most other things in the bin as long as they’re not polluted with sewage or chemicals. Contact your local council if you need skips or extra rubbish collections.

Getting rid of contaminated items

Contact the environmental health department at your local council to get rid of sandbags and other things polluted by chemicals or sewage. The council will tell you how to dispose of them as hazardous waste.

Prepare for future floods

Find out what you can do to protect your property from flooding in the future.