Haulage jobs in the EU

As a goods vehicle operator, when you get a standard international licence you’ll automatically get an EU Community Licence.

You can carry out a limited number of cabotage and cross-trade jobs in an EU country if you’re a UK haulier with an EU Community Licence. The jobs must follow a journey where goods were transported from the UK or an EU country.

Cabotage and cross-trade

Cabotage is the loading and unloading of goods for hire or reward in one EU country by a vehicle registered in a different EU country.

Cross-trade is the haulage of goods between 2 EU countries by a vehicle registered in another EU country.

You can still carry out cabotage and cross-trade jobs in the EU even though the UK is no longer a member.

When and where UK hauliers can carry out cabotage and cross-trade jobs

You can only carry out up to 3 jobs in 7 days within the host country.

EU countries which allow cabotage and cross-trade are:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden

Hauliers from these countries can also carry out cabotage jobs in the UK, subject to the same conditions.

You may have to register for and pay VAT in the country where the journey took place.

Your right to carry out cabotage or cross-trade jobs may be removed temporarily or permanently if you breach safety rules.