T6 waste exemption: treating waste wood and waste plant matter by chipping, shredding, cutting or pulverising

The T6 exemption allows you to chip, shred, cut or pulverise waste wood and plant matter to make it easier to store and transport, or to convert it for use.

The waste treated by these methods must be suitable for its intended use, which can include feedstock for producing products such as panel board, mulch, surfacing tracks (paths and bridleways) or fuel.

Types of activity you can carry out

These include:

  • chipping untreated waste wood to use as fuel in a boiler to provide heat
  • cutting waste wood into a suitable size to manufacture chipboard
  • shredding waste plant matter before moving it to an authorised facility for composting

Types of activity you cannot carry out

You cannot:

  • sort out waste wood or waste plant tissue from other types of waste as this exemption only allows wood and plant tissue waste
  • treat waste where the main purpose is to dispose of it to landfill or incinerate it
  • compost, burn or manufacture products from waste wood (see related exemptions)
  • treat wood that is hazardous waste

You don’t need to register a T6 for forestry maintenance work where the virgin timber is cut, chipped or shredded and is left on the ground or transported off-site for use elsewhere.

Types of waste you can treat

The waste codes are listed in the List of Wastes (LoW) Regulations. You need to make sure your waste fits within the relevant waste code and description.

Waste code Type of waste
020103, 200201 Plant tissue waste
030101, 030301, 170201 Wood
150103 Wooden packaging only

You cannot treat wood that has been sorted from mixed sources at a waste treatment facility.

Amount of waste you can treat

You can treat or store up to 500 tonnes of waste over any 7-day period.

You can store waste for up to three months after treatment.

Other things you need to know


Related exemptions

You can use chipped or shredded untreated waste wood under a number of exemptions:

Register a T6 exemption

You need to register this exemption with the Environment Agency if you meet the requirements:

If you want to treat more than the amount of waste allowed under this exemption, you must apply for an environmental permit.


Hazardous waste – see How to classify different types of waste.

Untreated wood – wood that has not been treated with oils, tar oil preservatives, waterborne preservatives, organic based preservatives, boron and organo-metallic based preservatives, boron and halogenated flame retardants and surface treatments.

Published 28 April 2014
Last updated 21 December 2015 + show all updates
  1. Clarified that don't to register a T6 for tree and forestry maintenance work where the wood is cut, chipped or shredded and is left on the ground or transported off-site for use elsewhere.

  2. First published.