You must make sure hazardous waste produced or handled by your business in England causes no harm or damage.
Your have responsibilities known as your ‘duty of care’. You must also meet extra requirements depending on whether you’re a waste:
- producer or holder (you produce or store waste)
- carrier (you collect and transport waste)
- consignee (you receive waste, eg for recycling or disposal)
There are different requirements for exporting waste.
Check if your waste is hazardous
Waste is generally considered hazardous if it (or the material or substances it contains) are harmful to humans or the environment. Examples of hazardous waste include:
- chemicals, eg brake fluid or print toner
- oils (except edible ones), eg car oil
- equipment containing ozone depleting substances, eg fridges
- hazardous waste containers
Classify your waste to find out if it is hazardous.