1. Your responsibilities

You must:

You have extra responsibilities if you’re dealing with hazardous waste.

What counts as business waste

Business waste includes any waste that comes from:

  • any commercial activity – including one you run from your home
  • construction
  • demolition
  • industry
  • agriculture

Check what you need to do in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Disposing of your own waste

You must register as a waste carrier if you want to dispose of your own waste regularly. Apply to register in:

Depending on what you’re doing, you may also need to apply for a waste permit.

Moving waste between countries

You can’t move waste between countries for disposal, eg to send it to landfill. You can usually only import or export waste to recover it, eg to use waste to produce energy.

Read the guide on waste imports and exports.