Apply for this licence

Start now


You must register if you:

  • transport waste as part of your business
  • buy, sell or dispose of waste
  • arrange for someone else to buy, sell or dispose of waste

If you only transport waste you produce yourself, registration is usually free and renews automatically.

You need to pay £154 and renew your licence every 3 years if you transport:

  • other people’s waste
  • construction or demolition waste you produce yourself

You can be fined up to £5,000 if you don’t register.

Before you start

You’ll need contact details for your business or organisation.

If waste is your main business you’ll also need:

If you’re renewing, you’ll need your waste carrier registration number. To find it look at your registration letter or email, or search the register of waste carriers.

What happens next

Once registered, your organisation will be included in a public register of waste carriers in England.

Updating your registration

You must update your details within 28 days of changing:

  • your contact details
  • your organisation’s management
  • what your registration covers