You must register if you do any of these things as part of your business:
- transport waste
- buy, sell or dispose of waste
- arrange for someone else to buy, sell or dispose of waste
You can be fined up to £5,000 if you don’t register.
Registration is usually free if you only transport waste you produce yourself. Otherwise, registration costs £154.
Before you start
If waste is your main business, you’ll need:
- names and dates of birth of the organisation’s executives, owners, directors or partners
- details of any environmental offences they’ve committed
What happens after you register
Once you’ve registered, your organisation’s details appear in the public register of waste carriers, brokers and dealers.
Renew your registration
When you register, you’ll be told whether your registration is ‘upper tier’ or ‘lower tier’.
If you have an upper tier registration, you must renew your registration every 3 years. It costs £105.
You don’t need to renew a lower tier registration.
What to do if your details change
You must update your registration within 28 days if:
- your organisation’s contact details change
- your organisation’s management changes
- someone in management is convicted of an environmental offence
- your organisation changes what it does, eg you’re registered as a waste carrier, but start acting as a waste broker as well
Update your contact or management details
If you registered from March 2015, update your contact or management details online.
If you registered before March 2015, email or write to the Environment Agency explaining what’s changed.
Update what your organisation does
Make a new registration if you need to upgrade a lower tier registration to an upper tier registration.
- if you registered from March 2015, update what your organisation does online
- if you registered before March 2015, email or write to the Environment Agency explaining what’s changed
It costs £154 to upgrade your registration, or £40 to change what your organisation does.
Contact the Environment Agency if you’re not sure what to do.
Contact the Environment Agency
Quote your registration number. You’ll find it on your registration letter or email - it starts with ‘CB’.
Environment Agency firstname.lastname@example.org
99 Parkway Avenue