Use Self Assessment software to help populate your Self Assessment tax return.
Some commercial Self Assessment software includes a feature that allows you to get details from HMRC to help you complete your tax return, including:
- PAYE details – such as your income from employment and private pensions
- taxable social security benefits
- National Insurance details if you’re self-employed
- Marriage Allowance information
What you’ll need
To use the feature you’ll need:
- a HMRC online account that is registered for Self Assessment
- compatible Self Assessment software - check if your software supplier includes the feature
How to use the feature
If your software is compatible, it will ask you to grant authority to access the data from HMRC on your behalf. The authority lasts for 18 months, but you can check or withdraw your permissions at any time.
Once you have allowed your software to contact HMRC it will automatically get the information and enter it into the relevant sections of your tax return.
If you have problems using the feature you should contact:
- your software supplier
- the HMRC Online Services Helpdesk
Contact the HMRC Income Tax Helpline if you think the details that you have received from HMRC are wrong.