Travel restrictions: check the testing and quarantine rules when you travel abroad from England.
Applies to England
Travel abroad checklist
This is a summary of what you need to do to travel abroad from England. Read the guidance below for more information about each point in the checklist.
Arrange any COVID-19 tests you will need to enter the countries that you will travel to.
1. Check foreign travel advice for the countries you want to go to
This will tell you if:
- the country will allow people to enter from the UK
- you will need to show proof of vaccination status or proof of a negative COVID-19 test
- you will need to quarantine on arrival
Foreign travel advice will also tell you if the UK government advises against all but essential travel to the country.
2. Arrange any COVID-19 tests you will need to enter the countries that you will travel to
You cannot use an NHS test for this. You must use a private test provider.
Many providers of day 2 and day 8 travel tests also provide these tests.
3. Find out how you can use the NHS COVID Pass to prove your vaccination status abroad
Some countries require proof of vaccination status before you can enter.
You should do this before you travel.
4. Check what you will need to do when you return to England
What you will need to do when you return to England depends on:
- your vaccination status
- where you have been
Travelling with children
The England testing and quarantine rules for children depend on their age.
You should also check the rules in the country you are travelling from as they may require children to take a test at the start of your journey to England.
Ireland, the UK, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
Check the rules on travel from England if you’re:
- travelling to Ireland
- travelling to Northern Ireland
- travelling to Scotland
- travelling to Wales
- travelling to the Isle of Man
- travelling to Jersey
- travelling to Guernsey
Exemptions for work, medical or compassionate reasons
There are medical exemptions from:
Some people are exempt from some or all of the requirements because of the job they do.