Travel abroad from England during coronavirus (COVID-19)
Check what you need to do to follow COVID-19 rules for other countries when you travel abroad from England.
Applies to England
Travel abroad COVID-19 checklist
This is a summary of what you need to do to travel abroad from England.
1. Check foreign travel advice for the countries you want to go to
Other countries have their own COVID-19 rules. Before you travel you should check the ‘Entry requirements’ section of foreign travel advice for all countries you will visit or travel through.
This will tell you if the country allows people to enter from the UK.
It should also provide advice on whether you will need to:
- show proof of a negative COVID-19 test
- quarantine on arrival
- complete a passenger locator form to enter the country
- show proof of vaccination status (plus any rules about vaccine expiry or vaccine boosters)
- wear a face covering on your journey or on arrival
Check the ‘Entry requirements’ section of foreign travel advice for all countries you will visit or travel through.
2. Arrange any COVID-19 tests you will need to enter the countries that you will travel to
You cannot use an NHS test for this. You must use a private test provider.
3. Find out how you can use the NHS COVID Pass to prove your vaccination status abroad
Some countries require proof of vaccination status before you can enter.
Read about how you can use the NHS COVID Pass to prove your vaccination status.
You should do this before you travel.
4. Air travel, passports, travel rights, and driving abroad
Read further information on:
Travelling with children
You should also check the rules about travelling with children in the country you are travelling to or from.
Operator and transport hub rules
Your travel provider, or the transport hub you travel through, may have COVID-19 rules in place. For example they may require or advise you to wear a face covering.
You should follow any COVID-19 rules and guidance from:
- your travel provider – airline, ferry, coach or train company
- the transport venue – airport, port, coach or railway station
Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man
Check the rules on travel from England if you’re:
Travel to England guidance
Read separate guidance about what you need to do to travel to England.
Last updated 18 March 2022 + show all updates
Removing the COVID-19 testing and quarantine rules for returning to England.
The rules for testing and quarantine after you arrive in England are changing 11 February 2022.
Updated rules for international travel.
Changes to amber list rules on quarantine and testing.