How to complete waste or materials facility returns, and deadlines for submission.
Operators with an environmental permit must complete waste returns to tell the Environment Agency about the waste they have received or removed from their site.
From April 2019, operators with a permit authorising waste activities must also include details about the technically competent manager at their site.
The Environment Agency uses this information to:
- monitor a site’s compliance with its environmental permit conditions
- compile national statistics about waste
Deadlines for submitting waste returns
|Quarters||Deadline for return|
|1 January to 31 March||30 April|
|1 April to 30 June||31 July|
|1 July to 30 September||31 October|
|1 October to 31 December||31 January|
|Annual return period||Deadline for return|
|1 January to 31 December||31 January of the following year|
How to complete your waste return
Complete your waste return in one of the following ways:
- Email your waste returns spreadsheet.
- Use the online waste returns Generic Operator Returns (GOR) spreadsheet to upload or enter your data.
- Request a paper form from the Environment Agency - call 03708 506 506 (see call charges) or email email@example.com.
See the national operator waste returns privacy notice which explains:
- what data we need to collect
- what we do with the data
- how long we hold the data
- your rights
Waste returns spreadsheet for email returns
Use the Waste returns spreadsheet for email returns to email your return.
You may need to zip large files so that you can email them successfully.
- to submit your spreadsheet
- if you have any problems emailing your return
Waste returns GOR spreadsheet
You must email firstname.lastname@example.org to request login details. You must provide your permit number(s), company name and telephone number.
You must also complete the technically competent manager form and email it to email@example.com.
Report the correct waste codes for your site
Your permit has a list of the European Waste Catalogue (EWC) codes your site can accept.
See the Waste classification technical guidance for more information.
Disposal and recovery (D and R) codes
See the list of D and R codes in Annexes 1 and 2 of the Directive of the waste and repealing certain Directives.