HMRC subject access request

Find out how to request access to personal data HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) holds about you.


You have the right to get a copy of the information that is held about you. This is known as a subject access request (SAR) and you can make a request to HMRC under the Data Protection Act.

Make a SAR

Apply online


The SAR includes:

  • personal details
  • employers names
  • tax payments
  • details of benefits claimed
  • National Insurance payments

If you apply through a solicitor or tax agent, you’ll need to complete the HMRC consent form, which authorises HMRC to release information directly to them. They’ll include your consent with your application.

Apply in writing

Include the years you need the information for and the reason for the request.

You’ll also need to confirm your identity by sending HMRC your:

  • full name
  • National Insurance number
  • date of birth
  • address history for the last 5 years
  • original signature (not needed for online and email requests)

Tax credits, Income Tax, Child Benefit, VAT, customs and other records SARs should be sent to the ‘Data Protection Officer’ of the HMRC office you’ve been dealing with.

National Insurance SARs should be sent to:

HM Revenue and Customs
National Insurance Contributions Office

Make a SAR for someone who has died

You can apply to get the information of someone who’s died to settle National Insurance or Income Tax if you’re legally entitled to do so on behalf of their estate.

Published 14 January 2016
Last updated 26 February 2018 + show all updates
  1. Address to send Subject Access Requests has been updated.
  2. Information about making a subject access request for tax credits, Income Tax, Child Benefit, VAT, customs and other records has been added.
  3. The address to send the subject access request has been updated.
  4. First published.