The UK diplomatic presence in Austria consists of three missions - the British Embassy, the UK Mission to the United Nations and the UK Delegation to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. The missions are co-located in Vienna. Please visit the individual webpages for information.

We develop and maintain the close relationship between the United Kingdom and Austria. The main work of this is through the EU, where economic and Eurozone issues, energy policy and the single market are important. We also work together to increase international security. We champion British exports and encourage inward investment into the UK; our consular section supports British nationals in Austria.

Vienna is part of the Central European Network and works in partnership with embassies in neighbouring countries to report on issues of common interest.

Our services

Our Consular Section is open Monday to Friday, by appointment only. To book an appointment online: Clickbook British Embassy Vienna

Out-of-hours emergency assistance

British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call +43 (1) 716130 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.

Emergency travel documents

Information about how to get an emergency travel document if your UK passport is lost or stolen.

Passport renewal

For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website. Please note that our Consular section cannot deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.


For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply go to the UK Border Agency website.

Please note that the Consular section cannot deal with individual enquiries about visa applications. For all visa enquiries, please contact the UK Border Agency.

Notarial and documentary services

Information about official documents, certificates, and notes available at the Consular section in Vienna.

Registering a birth or death

Understanding your legal requirements in Vienna and how you can register a birth or death, and information on legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.

Prisoner pack

We have produced guides for British Nationals who have been imprisoned in Austria:

Travel advice

Travel advice for Austria. Information, news and updates to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling in Austria.

Guides we produce

We also produce guides for British nationals who need information about services that are not provided by the Embassy, but that you may find useful in specific circumstances.

Living in Austria - general information and links for British nationals who have a residence in Austria

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds

  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital

  • help people with mental illness

  • do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained

  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping

  • contact family or friends for you if you want

  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters

UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in our Consular section.

What our consular section cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures

  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers

  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people

  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)

  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation

  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Our people

Susan le Jeune d'Allegeershecque CMG

Susan le Jeune d'Allegeershecque CMG

Ambassador to Austria and UK Permanent Representative to the United Nations and other International Organisations in Vienna

    Contact us

    British Embassy Vienna

    Jauresgasse 12
    1030 Vienna

    Access and opening times

    UK Mission to the United Nations Vienna

    Jauresgasse 12
    1030 Vienna

    Access and opening times

    United Kingdom Delegation to the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)

    Jauresgasse 12
    1030 Vienna

    Access and opening times

    Help us improve GOV.UK

    Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.