We develop and maintain relations between the UK and Japan. Our work covers a range of issues including international cooperation in support of our values and working to reduce conflict; building Britain’s prosperity through increased trade and investment in open markets; and supporting British nationals who visit and live in Japan through modern and efficient consular services.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Consular Services in Japan

All consular services for British Nationals are provided through the British Embassy in Tokyo. This includes the issuing of Emergency Travel Documents. British nationals requiring consular assistance in Japan should call +81 (0)3 5211 1100 or by email. Information on the full range of consular services available at the Embassy in Tokyo can be found below.

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Japan and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or there has been a death), call +81 (0) 3 5211 1100. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Japan, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 48 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at British Embassy in Tokyo.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Japan, see travel advice for Japan.

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We can issue affirmations or affidavits of marital status and perform a same sex marriage or civil partnership ceremony for British nationals and their partners. We can also convert a civil partnership into a marriage. For information on getting married in Japan, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death that occurred in Japan. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or our consulates.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Japan and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad as well as our bereavement guide for Japan .

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in Japan. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including Administering an oath, affirmation or affidavit, Making a certified copy of a document. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

The British Embassy Tokyo does not provide legalisation services.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised (certified as genuine).

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Japan. Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.

List of Lawyers, Interpreters and translators, Undertakers, Sources of medical information in Japan

Country-specific guidance for Japan

Use our country-specific guidance for Japan if you are in need of help. Please note that the information is a general guide based upon information provided to the British Embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Japan

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Japan

Our people

His Excellency Paul Madden CMG

His Excellency Paul Madden CMG

British Ambassador to Japan

  • Dr David Ellis

    Minister and Deputy Head of Mission, British Embassy Tokyo

Contact us

British Embassy Tokyo

No 1 Ichiban-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo

Opening hours:
The British Embassy is open Monday to Friday 9:30am to 4:30pm and closed for weekends.

The Consular section is open on;
Tuesday: 9:30am - 12:00pm, 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Friday: 9:30am – 1:00pm
Closed on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
(Please note: appointments required for all documentary and notarial services)

If you would like to report an Emergency involving a British National, please call 03-5211-1100 at any time.

Access and opening times

Department for International Trade Japan

Access and opening times

British Consulate-General Osaka

541 - 0059
3-5-1 Bakuro-machi, Chuo-ku, Osaka

Opening hours:
The British Consulate General is open Monday to Friday, 9:30am to midday / 1:00pm to 5:00pm and closed for weekends.

Assistance for British Nationals:
All consular services are provided through the British Embassy in Tokyo. British nationals requiring consular assistance in Japan should call (+81) (3) 5211-1100 or email consular.japan@fco.gov.uk.

If you would like to report an Emergency involving a British National, please call 03 5211 1100 at any time.

Access and opening times