British Ambassador to France
The UK's network in France and Monaco supports the government's main aims overseas: keeping Britain safe, making Britain prosperous and helping British nationals.
The UK’s network in France and Monaco is the British Government’s centre of excellence on France. We use our expertise and contacts to influence and deliver in support of the government’s main aims overseas: keeping Britain safe, making Britain prosperous and helping British nationals.
We advise the UK government on French policy, and support close cooperation in areas such as defence, foreign policy, the EU, science and innovation, energy, sustainable development, climate change, illegal immigration and counter-terrorism. We also issue visas for the UK to foreign nationals.
Our UK Trade & Investment team works with others across the France Network to promote trade and investment opportunities.
We help British nationals by providing consular services to those who have been involved in crime or other serious incidents.
This work is carried out by staff at the embassy, the consular services in Paris, our consulates in Bordeaux and Marseille and in our British Trade and Investment Office in Lyon. There is also a separate UK delegation to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) ; a UK Delegation to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) ; a permanent delegation to the Council of Europe in Strasbourg ; and the British Council, which has offices in Paris, Lyon and Marseille.
Travel advice for France
Information, news and updates for France to ensure you stay safe, avoid problems, and make informed decisions when living or travelling in France.
Documentation for getting married in France
Support and information when someone dies in France
If a relative or friend dies while they are in France, we can help you cope with some of the steps involved.
Support and information when someone is detained or arrested in France
If a relative or friend is detained or arrested while you are in France, the Prisoner Pack gives details of the French legal and prison systems.
Support and information after a rape or sexual assault in France
If you, a friend or relative has been the victim of rape or sexual assault in France, please contact your nearest consulate by telephone. We have produced an information pack for those who have been the victim of rape of sexual assault in France and you can also read our leaflet on rape and sexual assault abroad.
Emergency travel documents
Information about how to get an Emergency Travel Document if your UK passport is lost or stolen.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or renew an existing passport, please visit the passport section of this website. Please note that the British embassy and consulates in France cannot answer enquiries about passport applications.
Out-of-hours emergency assistance
British nationals who need emergency assistance outside normal office hours should call +33 1 44 51 31 00 where they will be given details on how to proceed and how to contact a duty officer if needed.
Registering a birth or death
Notarial and documentary services
Find information about the notarial services that the British consulates can provide. If you do not have a specific requirement for a Consular officer to carry out the service, you may find it cheaper and easier to contact a local notaire or lawyer.
For information on whether you require a visa for the United Kingdom and how to apply go to the Visas and immigration pages on GOV.UK
General information for people living in France
A general set of information and links for British nationals who live in France.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you are the victim of a crime or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
UK law says we have to charge for some services. Details of our current fees and the standards of service you can expect to receive are on display in our Consular section.
What our consular section cannot do for you:
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
The embassy press and communications office is responsible for the phone or email enquiries from the general public. Please note that we do not answer enquiries about passport or visa applications. You can contact us on + 33 01 44 51 32 81, Monday to Friday, 10am until 4pm (service closed in August and at Christmas).
You can also send an email to: Public.Paris@fco.gov.uk
Deputy Head of Mission, France
British Embassy Paris
35, rue du Faubourg St Honoré
75383 Paris Cedex 08
Telephone +33 (0) 1 44 51 31 00
Fax +33 (0) 1 44 51 31 09
Consular services Paris
16 rue d’Anjou
Telephone +33 (0) 1 44 51 31 00
Fax +33 (0) 1 44 51 31 27
Postal address: British Embassy - BP111-08 - 75383 Paris Cedex 08 - FranceAccess and opening times
British Consulate Marseille
24, Avenue du Prado
Telephone +33 (0) 4 91 15 72 10
Fax +33 (0) 4 91 37 47 06
British Consulate Bordeaux
353, Boulevard du President Wilson
Telephone +33 (0)5 57 22 21 10
Fax +33 (0)5 56 08 33 12