Foreign travel advice


COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving.


Coronavirus (COVID-19): stay up to date

Cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) have been confirmed in France. See information on measures introduced in France to limit the spread of the virus. Find out how to return to the UK from France.

See coronavirus travel advice for guidance on international travel.

Sign up for email alerts for France travel advice.

On 8 April, French authorities introduced a requirement to complete a certificate for International travel from abroad to mainland France in order to enter France. This certificate should be completed before entering France, in order to be shown to French border authorities on entry and, where appropriate, transportation companies prior to boarding.

In order to travel within or to transit through France, you should complete an Attestation de déplacement dérogatoire to certify your reason for travel. You can carry a physical copy or an electronic version of this “attestation” (declaration). This declaration should be completed before starting your journey, and, if entering France, does not replace the requirement for an “International travel from abroad to mainland France” certificate. Further information, including links to both these documents, is available on the Ministry of Interior webpage.

The French Government outlined new measures on 16 March 2020 to stem the spread of coronavirus. This includes confining people to their homes except for outings for specific purposes effective from midday 17 March 2020 for an initial period of 15 days. On 27 March 2020, the French government extended the confinement period for at least a further two weeks, until 15 April 2020. Rules associated with the confinement measures remain unchanged. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return to the UK now. For full information, see Coronavirus

There is separate guidance for the freight transport industry published jointly by the Department for Transport and the FCO.

On 5 March 2020, Flybe announced that it had ceased operations and all its flights have been cancelled. For more information, see the Flybe travel alert.

If you were due to travel with Flybe, read the UK Civil Aviation Authority’s advice to UK consumers for more information on how your travel plans may be affected and the steps you should take.

The UK has left the European Union. The rules on travel to EU countries will stay the same until 31 December 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements. This page will be updated with country-specific information for travellers to France as things change. Sign up for email alerts and view the latest updates for UK nationals travelling to and living in Europe.

Around 17 million British nationals visit France every year. Most visits are trouble-free. The most common problem reported is pickpocketing. See Crime

If you’re living in France, visit our Living in France guide in addition to this travel advice.

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in France. Due to ongoing threats to France by Islamist terrorist groups, and recent French military intervention against Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL), the French government has warned the public to be especially vigilant and has reinforced its security measures. Check the French government’s advice about what to do if a terrorist attack occurs. See Terrorism

There remain some migrants around Calais, who may seek to enter the UK illegally. There have been instances of migrants seeking to slow down traffic on approach roads to ports, including by placing obstacles on the Calais Port approach road. If this happens you should keep moving where it’s safe to do so, or stop and call 112 if isn’t safe to proceed (keeping car doors locked).

All vehicles, including motorbikes, driving in central Paris, Lyon and Grenoble now need to display a special ‘pollution sticker’. See Road travel

You should take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. For information on the European Health Insurance Card see Health

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

The emergency phone number in France is 112. If you need to contact other emergency services, call 15 (medical), 17 (police) or 18 (fire).