These statistics on NI 8, 9, 10 and 11 produced by DCMS were released on 17 December 2009.
These statistics on NI 8, 9, 10 and 11 produced by DCMS were released on 17 December 2009 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Last release date: 17 December 2009
Period covered: October 2007 to October 2009
Geographic coverage: England
Next release dates:
- December 2010 - Final assessment of progress for NI9, 10 and 11 using data collected from October 2009 to October 2010
- June 2010 - Interim data will be published for NI8. Further interim data for NI8 will be published in December 2010 and June 2011 with final progress reported in December 2011 based on data collected in Active People 5.
National Indicator Set
In June 2008, local authorities agreed Local Area Agreements (LAAs) with Government and their partners. The LAAs include targets to improve public services and the quality of life for people living and working in the area. Local authorities chose 35 targets from a possible 198 in the National Indicator Set (the set has since been reduced to 188 in April 2008). DCMS has four National Indicators (NIs) within the Set:
NI 8 Participation in sport and active recreation
NI 9 Use of public libraries
NI 10 Visits to museums and galleries
NI 11 Engagement in the arts
This report presents interim progress for those local authorities that selected one or more of the cultural National Indicators, 8, 9, 10 and 11. For NI8, data published for County Councils and those authorities that have boosted samples will be based on Active People Survey 3 (October 2008 to October 2009). For the other authorities, the NI8 statistic will be based on the APS2 and APS3 (October 2007 to October 2009) surveys combined giving a sample size of 1000. For NI9, 10, and 11, the release will be based on data collected between October 2008 and October 2009. Interim progress will be assessed for all the indicators against the relevant baseline estimates.
The report is accompanied by a workbook containing baseline and interim progress estimates for each of the indicators.
For details on NI 8, participation in sport and active recreation, please refer to Sport England’s website.
Link to report
- National Indicators 8, 9, 10 and 11: Interim progress PDF (56kb)
The estimates are available in the Excel workbook and will open in a new window. A series of maps are also provided, showing participation across the unitary and district authorities of England.
Link to maps
- NI 8: Participation in sport and active recreation - District and unitary authorities, 2008/09 PDF (1.3kb)
- NI 9: Use of public libraries - District and unitary authorities, 2008/09 PDF (1.3kb)
- NI 10: Visits to museums and galleries - District and unitary authorities, 2008/09 PDF (1.3kb)
- NI 11: Engagement in the arts - District and unitary authorities, 2008/09 PDF (1.3kb)
The document below contains a list of Ministers and Officials who have received privileged early access to this release of Taking Part survey data. In line with best practice, the list has been kept to a minimum and those given access for briefing purposes had a maximum of 24 hours.
- Pre-release access list PDF (16kb)