Personal tax – form

Register if you're self-employed or a sole trader

Register for Self Assessment and National Insurance so you can report your income on a return each tax year.



If you’ve sent tax returns before

You’ll need to find your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) from when you registered for Self Assessment previously, so HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) can link your accounts.

If you can’t use these forms

You can use this form instead.

You can fill it in on-screen then print off and post to HMRC.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

Tax agents and advisers: authorising your agent (64-8)
Use form 64-8 to authorise HMRC to communicate with an accountant, tax agent or adviser acting on your behalf.