Income Tax: claiming tax back when you have stopped working (P50)
Use the online service or postal form to claim an Income Tax refund when you've stopped working.
Ref: P50 https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/PersonalTax_iForms/1.0/P50&template=P50.xdp
This form is only for customers living in the UK. If you have left the UK and are no longer working within the UK, to claim a refund you should use the form P85.
To claim a tax refund if you’re not going to work for at least 4 weeks (for example, you’re retired, looking for a job, or returning to study) and you’re not claiming the following benefits:
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- taxable Incapacity Benefit
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
you can either:
- use the online service (sign-in or set up a Government Gateway account)
- fill in form on-screen, print and post to HM Revenue and Customs
Send the completed postal forms to:
Pay As You Earn
HM Revenue and Customs
Before you start
If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.
Related forms and guidance
Flexibly accessed pension payment: repayment claim (tax year 2015-2016) (P55)
Use form P55 to reclaim an overpayment of tax when you have flexibly accessed your pension pot, but not emptied it.
Flexibly accessed pension lump sum: repayment claim (tax year 2015-2016) (P53Z)
Use form P53Z to reclaim an overpayment of tax when you have emptied you pension pot, but are working or receiving benefits.
Claiming a tax refund when you stop work
Guidance on how to claim if you are entitled to a refund if you stop working, retire or return to studying.
Published: 1 July 2014
Updated: 5 January 2017
- Clarification has been added to explain the form is to be used by people working within the UK.
- An online service is now available.
- New print and complete form added.
- Welsh version of form P50Z added to this page.
- Form P50Z added to claim refund on flexible access pension payment.
- Added translation
- First published.