Personal tax – form

Income Tax: claiming tax back when you have stopped working (P50).

Use postal forms (P50) to claim an Income Tax refund when you've stopped working.


Postal application - P50


To claim a tax refund if you’re not going to work for at least 4 weeks (eg you’re retired, looking for a job, or returning to study) and you’re not claiming the following benefits:

  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • taxable Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance

you can fill in P50 form on-screen, print and post to HM Revenue and Customs.

If you’re reclaiming tax because you’ve flexibly accessed your pension, use form P50Z.

Send the completed postal forms to:

Pay As You Earn
HM Revenue and Customs

Before you start

If you’re using an older browser, eg Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

Related forms and guidance

Flexibly accessed pension payment: repayment claim (tax year 2015-2016) (P55)
Use form P55 to reclaim an overpayment of tax when you have flexibly accessed your pension pot, but not emptied it.

Flexibly accessed pension lump sum: repayment claim (tax year 2015-2016) (P53Z)
Use form P53Z to reclaim an overpayment of tax when you have emptied you pension pot, but are working or receiving benefits.

Claiming a tax refund when you stop work
Guidance on how to claim if you are entitled to a refund if you stop working, retire or return to studying.