Income Tax: repayment claim when small pension taken as a lump sum (P53)/(P53Z)
Use the online P53 or P53Z form or postal forms to claim back any tax HM Revenue and Customs owes you on a small pension lump sum you've had.
Ref: P53 PDF, 280KB, 9 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
PDF, 235KB, 9 pages
To claim a tax refund on a small pension lump sum you’ve had you can:
- use the online service (sign-in or set up a Government Gateway account)
- fill in a form on-screen, print and post it to HM Revenue and Customs
- print off and fill in a form by hand
If you’re reclaiming tax because you’ve flexibly accessed your pension pot use P53Z. This only applies if you’ve emptied your pension pot.
If you’ve only used part of your pension pot, or if you’re not working or receiving benefits, you’ll need to use form P55 or form P50Z.
Use this form to claim back any tax we owe you on a small pension lump sum where you’ve had either a:
- trivial commutation of a pension fund (from April 2015 this only applies to small Defined Benefit schemes such as Final Salary or Career Average)
- small pension taken as a lump sum
Don’t use this form if you have a Pension Flexibility payment and would like to claim a refund of overpaid tax.
So that we can make sure we repay the right amount of tax to you, please fill in this form with details of any other income that you expect to get during the tax year. If you don’t know the final figures, enter the most accurate estimates you can. Please use whole numbers, rounded down to the nearest pound. We’ll make checks at the end of the tax year and contact you if the amount is different. We recommend that you keep this paperwork until these checks are done.
Get the right software
This form is interactive (one that you complete on screen) and you must use Adobe Reader to complete it. Downloading Adobe Reader is free. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
Related forms and guidance
Flexibly accessed pension payment: repayment claim (tax year 2016 to 2017) (P55)
Use form P55 to reclaim an overpayment of tax when you have flexibly accessed your pension pot, but not emptied it.
Claim for repayment of tax when you have stopped working: flexibly accessed pension (P50Z)
Use form P50Z if you don’t receive employment income, Job Seeker’s Allowance, taxable Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance or Carer’s Allowance.
Published: 1 June 2013
Updated: 5 April 2016
- P53Z (Claim by Post and Print then fill in and post version) has been updated to reflect new tax year changes.
- New Welsh print and post interactive form available for form P53
- An online service is now available.
- New print and complete form added.
- Form P53Z added to reclaim tax paid on a flexible pension payment.
- First published.