Personal tax – form

Income Tax: repayment claim when small pension taken as a lump sum (P53)

Use form P53 to claim back any tax HM Revenue and Customs owe you on a small pension lump sum you've received.


Small pension taken as a lump sum: repayment claim (P53) (print then complete)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request a different format.

If you use assistive technology and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Use these forms to claim a tax refund on a small pension lump sum you’ve received.

In most cases you’ll need to use form P53.

If you’re reclaiming tax because you’ve flexibly accessed your pension pot use form P53Z instead. This only applies if you have emptied your pension pot.

If you’ve only used part of your pension pot, or if you’re not working or receiving benefits, you’ll need to use form P55 or form P50Z.

If you have problems opening the online form you can use the PDF version by printing it and filling it in by hand.

Get the right software

This form is interactive (one that you complete on screen) and you must use Adobe Reader to complete it. Downloading Adobe Reader is free. Download the latest version of Adobe Reader.

Related forms and guidance

Flexibly accessed pension payment: repayment claim (tax year 2015 to 2016) (P55)
Use form P55 to reclaim an overpayment of tax when you have flexibly accessed your pension pot, but not emptied it.

Claim for repayment of tax when you have stopped working: flexibly accessed pension (P50Z)
Use form P50Z if you don’t receive employment income, Job Seeker’s Allowance, taxable Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support allowance or Carer’s Allowance.