Get a copy of a child abuse conviction

Use these letters to get proof a partner has been convicted of child abuse, if you're applying for legal aid.



To get a copy of the conviction, you should:

  • fill in the relevant sample letter as best you can
  • send it to the court that handed out the sentence

It usually costs £5 for a copy but you may be able to get help with the fee.

If you don’t know the name of the court, ask the police officer who handled the investigation.

You can use this as evidence if you’re applying for legal aid to stop an abusive partner seeing your child or to take away their parental responsibility.

The conviction must be on this list of offences.

If you’re using a lawyer, they will be able to help you.

Published 14 April 2014