Domestic violence and child abuse offences: legal aid evidence

Check this list to see which offences count as evidence if you're applying for legal aid to separate from an abusive ex-partner.

Applies to England and Wales



You can use evidence of a conviction, caution or charge for any of these crimes to get legal aid to:

  • stop an abusive partner seeing your child
  • take away their parental responsibility
  • help you divorce or separate from them

To get the evidence, use the sample letters for domestic violence or child abuse.

Published 19 December 2014
Last updated 21 March 2016 + show all updates
  1. List of domestic violence and child abuse offences updated.

  2. First published.