Get proof that a partner has been charged with child abuse

Use this sample letter to get a copy of the child abuse charge from the police, if you're applying for legal aid.


Request of evidence of a Court Order with details of a ‘protective injunction’

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


To get a copy of the police charge, you should:

  • fill in as much as you can of the sample letter
  • send it to the Data Protection Officer at the police force

You may have to pay a fee for your copy.

You can use this as evidence if you’re applying for legal aid to stop an abusive partner seeing your child or to take away their parental responsibility.

The charge must be on this list of offences.

Published 14 April 2014