Form N161: Give details of your appeal to the court

Use this form ('appellant’s notice') for all appeals and permissions to appeal (except for small-claims track appeals and appeals to the Family Division of the High Court). Includes notes N161A, N161B, N161C and N161D.


Important notes for respondent

Hysbysiad apelydd (Pob apel ac eithrio apeliadau ar y trac hawliadau bychain) / Appellant's notice (All appeals except small claims track appeals)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Read the accompanying notes before filling in the form.

Use this form, sometimes called an ‘appellant’s notice’, for:

  • cases in the fast track
  • multi-track cases
  • statutory appeals from tribunals and other outside bodies (but not tribunal to tribunal appeals)

Use it for appeals in the:

  • County Court
  • High Court
  • Court of Appeal

Find out which court or tribunal to appeal to.

For appeals in small-claims track cases, use Form N164: Appellant’s notice (Small claims track only).

For appeals to the Family Division of the High Court, use Form FP161: Appellant’s notice (For use in appeals to the Family Division of the High Court).

Find out more about how to appeal to the Court of Appeal Civil Division.

Check court and tribunal fees and find out if you can get help with fees.

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 1 March 2017
Last updated 9 February 2021 + show all updates
  1. Amended statement of truth.

  2. Revised form N161 uploaded.

  3. First published.