Client notification: income or assets abroad

If you provide financial advice or services to a client about overseas income or assets, you may need to send them this notification letter.


Client notification letter


If you give advice about tax, or are a financial institution, you may need to send this letter to clients who have income or assets overseas, including financial accounts.

This could be any client you give advice or services to about their offshore:

  • self-employment income
  • employment income
  • savings
  • investments
  • profit from selling assets abroad

If you refer a client for an overseas account, advice or services, you still need to send them a notification letter.

The International Exchange of Information Manual explains who needs to send notification letters, which clients are covered and when you need to send them. It also gives information on ways to identify clients depending on whether you give tax advice or are a financial institution.

You don’t need to send this letter to clients if you’re a charity.

Published 30 September 2016
Last updated 16 January 2017 + show all updates
  1. Welsh language versions of 'Client notification letter' and 'Guide to sending the client notification letter' now available.
  2. 'Guide to sending the client notification letter' document updated to remove sentence on identifying clients by 31 December 2016.
  3. First published.