We rate the quality of evidence and analysis supporting new regulatory and deregulatory proposals, and check the estimates for the equivalent annual net cost to business of new regulations. We do this to ensure decisions are made on the basis of a robust, evidence-based policy making process.
We are responsible for:
The RPC business plan sets out that our priorities will be:
- to provide high quality independent scrutiny of the evidence and analysis supporting regulatory policy making in a timely and consistent manner
- to support the government’s policy to reduce the impact of regulation on business by validating the ‘Equivalent Annual Net Cost to Business’ which are used for the ‘one-in, two-out’ rule
- to represent the needs of small and micro businesses to policy makers
- to support the good practice explained in the guidance on accountability for regulator impact
- to encourage transparent, evidence-based policy development within the European institutions
Who we are
We were set up in 2009 and in 2012 we became an independent advisory non-departmental public body.