Stephen has over 25 years’ experience as a professional economist across a range of regulated sectors including post, water, ports, rail, aviation, energy and telecoms, working as a consultant and from both sides of the regulatory fence. In 2011 he set up SLG Economics, a consultancy providing expert regulatory and competition economics advice to regulators, regulated companies and consumer bodies. He has been:
- Interim Chief Economist at Ofwat;
- Senior Advisor to CAA and ORR;
- Chief Economist and Director of Economic Policy at Postcomm;
- Principal Economist at Ofcom;
- Senior Consultant at NERA Economic Consulting;
- Head of Economics at Network Rail; and
- Competition Policy Analyst at Royal Mail.
He is a lecturer in microeconomics at Birkbeck university and previously lectured at City university.
Stephen holds no other public appointments and has not undertaken any party political activity.