Research at Ofqual
Our research programmes help us to maintain standards and regulate qualifications based on evidence.
Our research investigates a range of issues relating to how qualifications, exams and other assessments are designed and delivered. This includes how standards in different qualifications are set and maintained.
Our research strategy also involves investigating how the design of qualifications influences how they’re used in schools and colleges. Our current research projects focus on 3 broad themes:
- grading standards and assessment quality
- the validity of qualifications and assessments
- the effect of qualifications on teaching and learning
We want our research to be accessible to as many people as possible and we welcome enquiries about our work.
You can view our research collections below:
- inter-subject comparability: research documents
- reliability research
- validity of qualifications research
- international comparability research
- quality of marking research
- alternative marking review processes for exams
Research by organisations prior to Ofqual: