What we do
We carry out driving tests, approve people to be driving instructors and MOT testers, carry out tests to make sure lorries and buses are safe to drive, check drivers and vehicles at the roadside, and monitor vehicle recalls.
We’re responsible for:
- improving driving skills by setting standards for driving, riding and training and testing people to those standards
- regulating standards of driving and riding instructors and making sure they’re approved to provide the right types of training
- regulating the MOT scheme so that garages keep up the right standards to keep vehicles safe on the roads
- making sure commercial vehicle operators, their drivers and their vehicles meet roadworthiness standards and follow safety rules
- approving the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence courses that lorry, bus and coach drivers have to take to stay driving legally
- providing advice, information and education for motorists to help keep all road users safe
- providing vehicle operator licensing and compliance services to the standard agreed with the Traffic Commissioner for Great Britain and the Northern Ireland transport regulator
In 2016 to 2017, our main priorities are to:
- reduce the waiting time for car, lorry and bus driving tests
- complete a review of the car driving test so we can better assess whether new drivers can drive safely and competently on their own on our busy modern roads
- consult on proposals to improve the safety and regulation of motorcycle training
- continue introducing modern and flexible vehicle testing services across Great Britain
- increase our focus on targeted compliance checks on vehicle drivers and operators who seriously and repeatedly don’t comply with roadworthiness standards
- make efficiency savings of £17.4 million
Who we are
We employ around 4,500 staff in a variety of operational and administrative roles around Great Britain.
Access our information
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Find out about our commitment to publishing in Welsh. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use. Find out About our services.