Working for DVSA
We employ people across Great Britain as driving examiners, and in a variety of inspection, technical, managerial and support roles.
Types of jobs we have
We employ around 4,600 people in various roles, including:
- driving examiners carrying out driving tests
- vehicle standards assessors and inspectors working in testing facilities carrying out vehicle tests
- traffic examiners working in enforcement, checking drivers, licensing and the use of vehicles comply with road safety rules and regulations
- vehicle examiners working in vehicle and MOT enforcement, checking vehicles comply with road safety rules and regulations
- professional and administrative staff working in our administrative offices, and in our customer service, licensing, and training centres
Search for jobs
We advertise our jobs on the Civil Service jobs website.
Your pay and benefits
There are lots of benefits to working for us.
Pay and benefits
As well as your salary, you’ll be eligible for:
- special performance bonuses, recognition vouchers and long service awards
- childcare vouchers, a cycle to work scheme, and an interest-free loan to pay for a travel season ticket
- special offers through our employee benefit scheme - mylifestyle
Civil Service pension
You’ll be able to join the Civil Service pension scheme, with an employer contribution of at least 20%.
Time off work
- 25 days of paid holiday, increasing one day a year to 30 days
- 9 days paid public and privilege holiday
- the option of paid or unpaid special leave when you have to deal with emergencies outside of work
Health and wellbeing
You’ll be eligible for:
- a free flu jab each year, a free eyesight test, and a free assessment with a trained physiotherapist
- our employee assistance programme, which offers counselling and support service for mental health and wellbeing
- help and support from the Charity for Civil Servants
Developing your career
We value your professional expertise and will help bring out the best in you by giving you:
- an ongoing personal development plan to help you learn new skills and improve your knowledge
- 5 days of learning and development each year, including job shadowing, on-the-job learning, and formal training courses
- an opportunity to take part in a range of talent schemes to increase your skills, knowledge and confidence
Saving you money
From childcare vouchers through to great money off and cashback offers, you can save on everyday shopping, special treats, days out and holidays - making your money go further.
Helping people stay safe on Britain’s roads
You’ll play a vital part in helping us to achieve our vision of safer drivers, safer vehicles and safer journeys for all.
Before you apply
Details of the selection process for each role are given in the job advert on the Civil Service Jobs website, but this will normally include a competency-based interview.
You should read the following guidance before applying:
We’re an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and continually strive to encourage it in our workplace, so we positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.